September 28 – 29, 2013
Anacostia Park, Section E, Washington, DC
FIGMENT is a free, interactive, non-commercial, participatory arts festival created for, and by, the community. It is a gift for each of us. A chance to create, to engage, to play. It is not about watching someone else have all the fun, it’s about diving in and making the fun yourself. Come help us transform a beautiful urban park into a magical, family-friendly, artists’ playground!
September 28-29, 2013. 11am – 5pm
Anacosta Park is a beautiful urban park along the east side of the Potomac River in Washington DC. Conveniently located near both the Potomac Ave. and Anacostia Metro stations, the North Field is accessible from bike paths and I-395. FIGMENT DC will provide limited transportation for FIGMENT participants from the metro, and there is some parking on site. Anacostia Park is a beautiful, urban green space and a great location for the second annual FIGMENT DC. Come join us and help us demonstrate what the arts can be: participatory, bursting with creativity, and completely free.
We strongly encourage you to review the directions to get to the park, as we know that GPS systems are frequently wrong.
FIGMENT is a free, non-profit, non-commercialized, family-friendly event.
What to Bring:
Please bring whatever you want or need for a day of outdoor, creative fun!
There are no concessions of any kind at FIGMENT. Please come prepared with your own snacks and refreshments! The event will have porta-potties/restrooms. We recommend that you bring:
- Drinking water: There will be no free potable water so remember to bring what you might need.
- Food, snacks, and anything else you want for a picnic! Please note that grilling is prohibited.
- Sun protection: Sunscreen, a floppy hat or parasol, and sunglasses.
- Rain protection: It’s possible the skies could open up. Be prepared!
- Any necessary medications.
- Costumes: FIGMENT is the perfect time to play make-believe (for both kids & adults!)
- Bicycles: There will be limited bike parking at the event. You may want to consider decorating your bike with streamers, lights, fake fur, or other art.
- Kites: Make the skies colorful with your beautiful kites and take advantage of the awesome wind along the river.
- Toys! Hula hoops, poi, croquet sets, knitting, water guns, games – anything that you want to play with or invite others to join you in!
- Dogs. If they are friendly, they are welcome, but must be kept on a leash. Please clean up after your pooch!
- Roller skates! Yes, there is a covered roller rink on site!
What NOT to Bring:
- Illegal drugs
I Want To Be Involved!
FIGMENT is completely fueled off of the energy of volunteers like you, and we are recruiting team members now! If you’d like to see how you can help at FIGMENT, please join the Mailing List to receive updates our next outreach event. You can also contact us for more information! Finally, you can join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter (@FigmentDC). We will be hosting a number of Meet-and-Greets in the DC area throughout the year, so please join us to learn more about how YOU can help make FIGMENT DC truly spectacular.
I Want to Donate!
FIGMENT is 100% funded by individual donations from people like you. FIGMENT does not, and will never, accept any corporate sponsorship. If your heart is bursting with love and you would like to help make this fantastic, creative experience a reality in DC, please consider making a donation. Your generosity makes FIGMENT possible.
LEAVE NO TRACE: We adhere to a “Leave No Trace” ethic, and ask you to do the same. While trash and recycling receptacles will be on-site, we ask you all that if you bring it in with you, please carry it out. This includes cigarette butts, which fit quite well in a small metal box in your pocket.
NO TRANSACTIONS: One of our goals is to create a social and creative experience uninterrupted by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. FIGMENT does not sell anything on the site, and does not allow commerce of any kind.
SHARE YOUR PHOTOS AND VIDEO: Your photos can help us promote and raise money for FIGMENT! If you have photos from 2012, please tag your Flickr photos and YouTube videos as “FIGMENTDC2012″ or send links here. Full credit will be given each time your work is used.
Submissions have closed for FIGMENT DC 2013. If you chose to not register your project, we invite you to bring it anyway. But please note that at this late stage, your project will not appear on any maps or schedules, will not receive dedicated placement, must be able to be carried or wheeled onto the site without a vehicle, cannot be staked into the ground, and cannot use power from the site. Please contact us if you’d like to learn more.
If you’re an artist who would like to raise money through crowdfunding, contact us to learn how! If you’re just looking for a few special pieces of material, or an extra set of hands, let us know and we’ll put it on our Wish List.